So I chose a few of the tips mentioned in the article, and came up with a system through which I could help my students do the following:
1. Focus their attention on the words they needed to study
2. Structure and Organize
3. Relate new information to things they already know
4. Visualize concepts to improve memory and recall
5. Pay extra attention to difficult information
6. Utilize mnemonic devices to remember information
7. Teach new concepts to another person
What I ended up with was a template that students could use to develop hints for vocabulary words by doing all of the above. After several years, I can say the feedback has been very positive. I have students now in college that say they use this technique to learn material for their classes at the University level. I have former students who use this method in their subsequent Spanish classes, not because someone is making them (yes, at first I had to make them), but because they know that it works.
Here is the link to the template I created and directions on how to start using it with your students:
Vocabulary Hint Template & Instructions
**I am offering this template for FREE in my TpT Store until Sunday, April 27th!**
Don't forget to "follow" my store to receive information on future products and promotions!